Beard oil -otherwise known as liquid gold in the bearded community. Regularly using this magical serum will make all the difference in achieving a healthier, groomed look with amazing softness and shine — worth investing in if you want your facial hair game on point!
Get ready for an incomparable smoothness as we walk you through why and how to start using beard oil today.
What beard oil is and what it does
Beard oil is a blend of carrier oils such as jojoba, argan, or coconut oil, and essential oils for fragrance. Each of these oils works together to nourish your facial hair and skin. It’s designed to help your beard look groomed, thick, and healthy.
Beard oil helps to soften and hydrate both your facial hair AND the skin underneath, making it easier to manage and style. It also can prevent skin irritation, dandruff, and split ends while adding a subtle fragrance.
But wait, there’s more! Not only is it good for the hair and skin, but it also adds a shine to your beard that leaves it looking lush and perfectly groomed.
Basically, beard oil is gold.
The benefits of using beard oil
Moisturizes and softens the beard
Beard oil nourishes each strand of hair and its underlying follicle with the necessary hydration for enhanced softness and pliability; in turn, daily styling and combing is made easier so you can keep your beard looking its best.
Conditions the skin
Beard oil not only nourishes the beard, but it also conditioners the skin underneath. It helps soothe any dryness or irritation and reduces itching.
Prevents split ends and breakage
Regular use of beard oil will help reduce split ends and breakage, giving you a fuller-looking beard.
The subtle fragrance of the essential oils in beard oil will help you smell amazing while keeping your beard looking groomed and healthy.
Makes your beard look good
No more worrying about a frizzy, unkempt beard. With the help of beard oil, your facial hair will look shiny and healthy – and you’ll be turning heads everywhere you go.
How to start using beard oil
Thankfully, using beard oil is easy and straightforward.
- Clean your beard: Wash your beard with warm water and a gentle beard shampoo or soap. Pat it dry with a towel.
- Dispense the oil: Place a few drops of beard oil into the palm of your hand, using the dropper or the tip of the bottle.
- Spread the oil: Rub your hands together to evenly distribute the oil. Using your fingers, work the oil into your beard, making sure to apply it to the skin beneath the beard as well.
- Comb or brush your beard: Use a beard comb or brush to distribute the oil evenly through your beard, making sure to reach the roots of the hair.
- Style as desired: Once the oil is evenly distributed, style your beard as desired.
When applying the oil, make sure not to use too much. This can cause your beard to look greasy and weigh it down. A little goes a long way so start with just a few drops and work your way up from there.
For best results, use beard oil once a day, preferably in the morning after showering and before going out for the day.
A few tips on choosing the right beard oil for you
1. Look for natural ingredients
Always look at the ingredients when purchasing beard oil. Avoid any products with synthetic oils or fragrances and make sure it contains natural ingredients like jojoba oil, argan oil, coconut oil, and essential oils.
Pro tip: If it says “Natural fragrance” on the label, it’s not really natural.
2. Consider your skin type
Different skin types require different oils. Here’s a quick breakdown:
- Dry skin: Look for a beard oil that contains hydrating ingredients like jojoba oil, argan oil, coconut oil, or grapeseed oil. These oils can help to moisturize the skin beneath your beard, preventing dryness and flakiness.
- Sensitive skin: Choose a beard oil that is free from harsh chemicals and artificial fragrances. Look for oils that contain natural ingredients such as chamomile or lavender, which have calming properties and can soothe irritated skin.
- Oily skin: Look for a beard oil that is lightweight and non-greasy. Avoid heavy oils like castor oil, and look for ingredients like jojoba oil, which is lightweight and absorbs quickly into the skin.
- Combination skin: Choose a beard oil that is lightweight and non-greasy, but also hydrating enough to moisturize dry areas of your skin. Look for ingredients like almond oil or grapeseed oil, which are light and won’t clog pores.
3. Consider the scent
When choosing a beard oil, it’s worth taking the time to think carefully about the scent. After all, you’ll be living with that smell for days!
Consider what your priorities are; do you prefer a strong scent or something more subtle? Do you want to feel energized and refreshed or relaxed and calming?
There are plenty of options out there so get creative – from woody and smokey fragrances to citric or herbal – so take your time considering which will be the best fit.
Investing in a high-quality product ensures that whichever fragrance you end up choosing will last longer.
4. Check the viscosity
Sounds fancy, but basically this just refers to the thickness of the oil. Oils with a thinner viscosity are easier to spread through your beard and absorb into the skin.
Thicker oils, on the other hand, are great for providing extra conditioning and hydration but can be a bit harder to spread.
5. Read reviews
Take the time to read reviews from people who have used the product before you. This can be a great way to get real-life feedback on how the product works and how it smells. It’ll also save you from wasting money on something that isn’t up to scratch.
FAQs about beard oil
Q: Does beard oil work?
A: YES! Beard oil is a great way to keep your facial hair looking soft, healthy, and well-styled. Of course, results will vary depending on the quality of the product you choose.
Q: How often should I use beard oil?
A: For best results, use beard oil once a day, preferably in the morning after showering and before going out for the day.
Q: Is beard oil good for your skin?
A: Yes! The natural oils in beard oil can help to moisturize and nourish your skin, keeping it healthy and hydrated. This can help to prevent dryness or flakiness which can lead to irritation or breakouts.
Most beard oils contain essential oils which can have calming and soothing properties, making them good for all skin types.
Q: How does beard oil work?
A: Beard oil works by hydrating and nourishing the beard and the skin beneath it. The natural oils in the product penetrate the hair shaft, hydrating the beard and making it softer and easier to manage. The oil also moisturizes the skin, preventing dryness and irritation.
Q: How do I use beard oil?
A: To use beard oil, apply a few drops to your palm and rub your hands together to distribute the oil. Work the oil into your beard, making sure to reach the skin beneath it. Use a beard comb or brush to distribute the oil evenly through your beard.
Q: Are there any side effects to using beard oil?
A: Beard oil is generally safe and well-tolerated, but some people may experience allergic reactions to certain ingredients in the product. If you notice any redness, itching, or irritation after using beard oil, discontinue use and consult a doctor.
Q: Can beard oil help with beard growth?
A: While beard oil won’t directly stimulate beard growth, it can help to improve the health of the hair and the skin beneath it, which can promote healthier beard growth over time. By keeping your beard and skin moisturized and nourished, you may notice a fuller, healthier-looking beard over time.